Book Review: "Dream Big" by Bob Goff
Definitely read Dream Big by Bob Goff with a pen in your hand; you will want to highlight, take note, and memorize some of the important lessons Goff teaches his readers. Better yet, buy a digital version so you can see your notes on your eReader.
Here's the thing: I am a BIG fan of Bob Goff's writing and feel that each of his books have found me at a pivotal point in my life and has opened important doors to reflection. Dream Big takes everything that I love from Love Does and Everybody, Always and places it into the context of achieving goals and resolutions that readers may have closed the door to and helps readers to unlock the creative potential to achieve what truly needs accomplishing in their life.
Here's what makes Goff's books stand out in the pack-shelved section of self-help books:
- Goff realizes that there is value to anecdotal examples he derives from his life as well as the lives of others.
- Goff never settles for mediocre when it comes to success-- I often stopped to evaluate my own ideas and found that once I had settled, Goff writes in encouragement to keep dreaming.
- Goff loves people and is willing to help. His personal cellphone number is in the back of the book!
- Goff feels like a friend more than a mentor-- it is apparent that he wants to help and is willing to put in the time to get to know his readers.
- Goff doesn't expect you to spend more money on additional products. Trust me on this and subscribe to his Instagram account. Goff workshops with his reader at the back of this book. All anyone needs is a place to write down their ideas.
Like his other entries, Goff does not shy away from using the Bible to explain and relate his ideas to his readers. However, I really feel that anyone could find an element of growth-- even those who shy away from religious texts in favor of secular texts. Bob Goff loves people and that love transcends his texts in a way that is hard to imitate without true feelings of hope and respect.
However, if you are someone who enjoys religious connections, you will find Goff's work inspiring and perhaps supplemental to your faith. He relates Biblical stories in a way that enhances his lessons and brings contemporary connections.
My only fault with this book is a personal one when Goff takes a low blow at English majors that simply didn't sit right with me:
"If your ambition is to write a book, find an English major at a local university to help you-- they'll never get a job anyway."
As someone who studied English and has a great job, I was a bit hurt by this sentiment. For me, it damaged my trust in his advice just a bit with the ol' English majors will never amount to anything joke. Like many stereotypes, this one is hard to shake. I guess I will take Goff's advice:
"Don't be so eager to correct people; welcome them instead. Accept them. Love them without any angle or agenda. Start with yourself."
I could go on and on about my love for this book, but I will take a step back and encourage readers to experience Bob Goff and take in what they may need from his encouraging life stories and lessons. Dream Big will be purchased and placed in my permanent collection.
My Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐/5
Thank you to NetGalley and Nelson books for providing an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review!